Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Why am I here?

Coming to Jamaica was not something I expected until approached by my brother-in-law Jeremy. I was a little hesitant to go but when I knew I'd get to spend my time here with my father, father-in-law and brother-in-law I jumped at the opportunity. In these first two days I have been amazed at the love I've seen from the three of them. I feel so blessed to have such amazing role models in my life.
To be honest this trip has also given me a lot to think about in my life. I struggle with the fact that we are only here for a week. After taking two different two month trips to Kenya, Africa in the past 7 years a week here in Jamaica just felt too short. I long for the relational aspect of a trip like this with the people we are serving and it's hard to know whether I will achieve that in such a short time. I have kept asking God, "why am I here? what are you trying to tell me in this trip?" I still haven't figured out exactly why God wants me here but I have a few ideas that I'm trying to sort through. The one that seems to stick out the most is related to a wall they have here in the Harmony House. The wall is covered with these wood hands and each hand is signed by the members of the group that had came, the date they came and the church name. I was struck by the number of churches from Missouri and Pennsylvania and my initial thought was that I needed to get some people from my church in Seattle our here and get our name on the wall. Does God want me to lead a group from Seattle and share that love of missions with those who have never been on a mission? I'm not sure but I will continue to pray for my answer of why I am here.
-Mike Fiechtner
P.S. I love you Mandy, Flip Flop and mom! We miss you!

3 comments:

Amie Williams said...

Did you see the Gateway hand from two years ago?? Ask Jeremy the story of spelling something wrong on it. Maybe you can see where he messed up, ha! I hope you're having a great time. Enjoy the simplicity of life while you're there.
Amie

Amie Williams said...

Mike,Doug, Jeremy & Dennis, Luke & I just wanted to say Hi! to our favorite men. We r playing today, but thinking & praying for u. We miss u. I know God is blessing each of u and his people u r serving. God is faithful. That is why u r all there because u know God is doing a work in & through all of you. We Love you guy's!
Dennis I Love You Most! Grandma Lisa & Lukie
Jeremy, Luke say's to say Hi! & to give you lot's of XOXOXOXOXOX.

Mandy Fiechtner said...

Does that mean we are moving to Jamaica? Just kidding, I love you so much and I hope God is answering your questions. We miss you so much, flip flop says he loves you and is keeping your side of the bed warm :) You are an amazing man of God anf I am so thankful to have you in my life!