Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jamaican Joy!

Today's devotion in the morning was all about finding bible verses that describe the various people on the mission trip. The team member thoughtfully read many touching, insightful descriptions of many people. I was personally reflecting on the beauty of these people touching the hearts and souls of their friends with strong truthful words of encouragement.The team is blessed with a wonderful variety of strengths. It was such a positive way to start the day! Perhaps you should think of a bible verse that describes someone in your life and read it to them. Think about it.

My personal assignment was to go to "House One", also known at St. Toolies, to continue the construction efforts. We had our three Jamaican men and one volunteer Jamaican woman. Our mission team included Mike, Jeremy, Dennis, Joyce and myself. Upon arriving, we started by sifting the materials required to put the fininishing coat of concrete on the outside and inside walls. Each day I am so taken by the skill and joy that the Jamaican people bring to their work. We need to learn from them and bring joy to our efforts in the USA. These men are very skill craftsmen. At one point, the entire team was actively engaged in spreading and finishing the concrete walls. While the construction techniques are pretty simple, the talent of the workers creates a house of strong and very smooth walls. Us missionaries are happily providing their assistence. Often I think about an old saying I have heard that says no matter how hard you try to give to people, you will always get so much more in return. Here we are trying to give, but our Jamaican hosts continue to give back to us with their love and thank yous and friendship. During our lunch time, several members of our team encouraged the Jamaicans who lived at the work site to eat some of our food, a simple act of charity.They thankfully accepted.

At the end of the day, we sat by the road waiting for the bus. As we waited, Jeremy and Mike joined with two Jamaican boys in a little football/soccer "pepper" session. They kicked and headed the ball back and forth with the boys. Other boys soon showed up and they watched and in one case joined in. I sat and reflected on the way they were touching the hearts of those boys. There was such a feeling of fun, caring, and joy as they played. Joy seems to be a common theme of the trip here. Joy, joy, and more joy in a place with little money. Joy truly comes from living a true christian life and the love we share with our neighbors in our church, community, country and even world.

God bless all of you have supported this trip. You are making a positive change in God's world, both the Jamaicans and the people on this mission trip.

Doug Fiechtner

2 comments:

Megan said...

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!! I have been praying for all of you all week! I couldn't figure out how to post a comment on here, and just finally figured it out. (I probably had to read the fine print, and Mom, you know how much I love to do that!) Dad, I read that you were the winner in the 2-on-2 basketball game against the Jamaicans. WAY TO GO POPS!!! Mom, have you hauled marl yet? I enjoyed your story about diggin deeper. This week while reading John, I have been trying to dig deeper.

Roxy has been left out to rome the house two different nights! Everything was torn to shreds...you need a new couch! JUST KIDDING! She was asleep on the couch both times I came home. She is a GREAT dog! You would be so proud. Dad, Roxy drug me out to your car, thinking you were there. She seems to miss you very much! She has just been looking for you and laying around! We are so excited for you guys to come back!

Alli told me to tell "Cinni" hi. The neighbors and I have been hanging out, since everybody went on trips without us. Cole and I studied his spelling words tonight. We are going to his game tomorrow night!

I am so ready to hear your stories! I LOVE YOU!!! You don't realize how much you love someone until you can't talk to them for days. I MISS YOU AND AM SO READY FOR YOU TO COME HOME!!!!

Mandy Fiechtner said...

My bible study spent a long time discussing the difference between joy and happiness last night. We even gave ourselves a homework assignment to try and figure it out. Your post was my answer, such joy you are all experiencing. I know how excited Mike was to be with all of you and and sounds like he is getting even more than he imagined.