Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Relationships, Compassion and Basketball

After three full days in Jamaica it is hard to know where to begin to communicate what myself and others have experienced here. After building a foundation and working on a house the first two days, I was excited to see what God had for me today. So, David Skeen and I built a wall at the local school so that they may have an additional classroom for the children. Having the children run up to me and almost tackle me because they were so excited to see an American help them was wonderful. They ask all kinds of questions and wonder what America is like. But even greater than helping the children was getting to know the other Jamaicans that were working alongside us on the project. Little John, Dash and Bigga are all about my age and found my lack of skills with power tools their morning entertainment. Yet, they put in a great amount of energy in order to develop a relationship with me. I found it incredibly convicting that these Jamaicans are willing to open up to me about their families and past with no hesitation, and assume that I should be willing to do the same. I enjoyed my time with them and David incredibly beneficial. And then we went to the infirmary this afternoon. There are no words to describe the infirmary. After I walked in there I decided I was going to pour out all of the compassion that I could in an hour on these people. I spent most of my time with eleven men that shared one room, some of them sitting in their own feces. All of them begging you to read scripture and love on them. I will need a few days in order to process what we saw and did there. That's all that can be said at this point on the infirmary. Lastly, tonight, I played 2-on-2 basketball with David Skeen against two Jamaicans. I did not know that Jamaican basketball is similar to Jamaican Dominoes in that it is full contact, but I figured it out quickly. I went ahead and ran with it, realizing my best option to win was to put one Jamaican in a headlock and plow my way through the other to make a basket. David Skeen and I ended up beating Team Jamaica 15-12 in the end, but more importantly, we bonded with the Jamaicans in a way that we don't see too often back home. To my family, I cannot say how much I miss you. I thought of Hannah all day yesterday hoping she would have a wonderful birthday, and I'm sure she did. I pray everyday that God will watch over you as He is watching over me here. Katie, I miss you terribly. Not hearing your voice everyday has been tough. Please tell Sarah, Hannah, Steph and Annie that I love them very much. I have so much to share and I hope that when I come home you see a change in your husband and father. Thank you for your sacrifice so that I may serve here.

God Bless.
Dave B.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I am so glad that you are there to provide entertainment. It sounds like if you spend anymore time there, you are liable to know more about power tools than I do, and I wouldn't want to be out done. The girls are missing the entertainment of wrestling and cuddling with Daddy. I do feel sorry for the Jamaicans who played you in basketball, and can't imagine what constitutes "full contact" compared to your normal style. ;)
We look forward to hearing all your stories and most of all, seeing you on Sunday.
I am so excited to see and hear God has worked through you and in you. We all miss you lots and love you. Katie

Marc and Laura Rose said...

Hey Dave,

All of it sounds so great man. My wife found your families blog and told me about it today so I had to come on check it out. My goodness, so many things I would love to talk with you about. I keep wanting to call, but at the same time I don't because I would rather talk face-to-face. Your family is growing up man, I miss all of you. PLease tell all of them I said high. Do you have plans anytime between March 14th to March 22? This is my Spring break and if it works out Laura and I would really love to try and visit at least for a day or two. I am glad you had such a meaningful time on your trip. I love you brother. I don't know how you can respond to this, but if you want just email. mrose@mesquiteisd.org is my work email and that gets check a lot more often. Talk to you soon.
Marc