Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Less Leads to More

We have been preparing the store with donated items since our arrival and we were finally able to open it up and help the Jamaicans shop. They are allowed to fill 2 Wal-Mart bags of clothes that they and their family need. It wasn't always easy, and sometimes impossible to find what they needed. They were grateful for what they received even though it may be another 18 months before they get to shop again. They have less, and are more appreciative for what they have.
The second part of our day was spent visiting residents of the infirmary. I have heard stories from past experiences, and this visit was a big reason for me wanting to come on this trip, yet nothing but prayer could have held me together for what I saw. This place lacks homely surroundings, it lacks privacy, and it lacks cleaning. What isn't lacking, however, is so profound...it isn't lacking Jesus! I thank God for allowing me to love on these people and to be loved on by them. Scripture was shared, prayers were spoken and songs were sang. I see that when you take away everything one has, all they have left is Jesus. We have so many distractions, that it usually takes us longer to call on Him. They weren't just crying out to Him though, even in their state of being, they were praising Him!! What a lesson!
Tyler, Luke and Bryce...I miss you so much and I have been taking comfort in knowing that the same God that is watching over me, is watching over you also. I love you all so much and am excited to see you again!!

3 comments:

Mary Ludwig said...

Janna!! It's great to hear about your time in Jamaica! I can't wait to see you & get to spend some time with you & hear all of your stories. I knew you'd have a great time- enjoy the rest of your week!

Carolyn said...

Team you are each so very special to Our Heavenly Father!! His heart is smiling just to know that you have answered His call....
Praying for you every day!

Mucho Mucho Love..to Amy and Jen!!!

Karen said...

Amy and Team - We are praying for you and the team and watch for news and photos daily. Your EMT Test and Dress Rehearsal have been rescheduled for Thursday 29 Jan per Bonnie. May this lighten your load at least until you return to KC. Love you! Mom and Dad