Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What do you say when there are no words...

It's true when people tell you that there is no way to capture the experience of going to the infirmary unless you are actually there. We spent an hour there this afternoon and it was one of the most touching hours of my life. I guess I was expecting to see a nursing home with everyone there being in bad condition, but it was so much more than that. The infirmary is also where people with disabilities (cognitive and physical) go when there is no one else to take care of them and some of the residents there were severely handicapped. The ironic part? That the majority of them, when asked, smiled and said that they were doing fine, that the weather was nice, and that they had friends there. I stopped to question... is it a bad environment when, in general, their basic needs are being met? They were clothed, fed, sheltered. We all wish everyone could be shown love every day, but are we so used to being pampered and having so many resources available to us that the thought of a place like this is completely apalling? It was very hard to see these people and not let your emotions just totally overcome you, I know that I wished I had the ability to make it more like our nursing homes back home (never thought I'd wish anything like that!) But I started thinking about how in Jamaica the people lead much simpler lives and how I've come to appreciate that in a lot of ways, so it would come to reason that their dependent care would be simpler too. I think it's awesome how much we want for our loved ones back home who need residential care, but it was also awesome to see the joy and a lack of want in the eyes of these people who expect so much less than us. God seems to find ways to put contentment in the hearts of people in situations we perceive as unbearable. The woman who sings Jesus Loves Me from the bottom of her soul and reads word for word from Psalms along w/ her neighbor despite being blind. She is the picture of love for Christ, and joyful in circumstances she sees through very different eyes than us Americans that came to visit her. I went there hoping to bring some joy to a few people and left having had my heart filled 100 times over. Where the Jamaican people don't have the technology and health care that i am used to, they far surpass in community and simplicity and expression of their love for Christ. I feel like I received a lot more in one hour today than i ever could have given. A true message to me from God.

1 comment:

Susan and Mike said...

Hey all,
We have loved reading all your blogs. It is so rewarding to hear what everyone is doing and seeing. Kathy what an incredible story esp from you who deals with residential living for so many. Happy late birthday Laci!!! Amy, hope you are having the time of your life. Everyone that has blogged has truly seen so much of God's grace in Jamaica. We continue to pray for you all and hope God continues to show you His abundance and grace.