Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Here I am

After 2 days of true manual labor, it still doesn't feel completely real that I'm here. But what does feel amazingly real is God. His presence here is in abundance. Since this is my first time here, I had only heard stories of what was to come, but nothing could have prepared me for what was in store. I honestly thought I was coming here to help the Jamaicans. Silly me, they have blessed me in sooooo many ways. First off, the beauty of God's creation is breath taking, likewise the poverty and dire straights that many live in is also breath taking. We went on a walking tour yesterday of Harmons. Seeing these people on their "turf", I felt like a tourist walking thru the zoo, taking pictures of people. It wasn't until I sat with a lady named Daffney who was washing her clothes in a bucket and scrubbing undies with a brush that looked very much like what we would use at work to scrub the outside of a boat, that's when I began to feel very spoiled. Daffney had a joy and contentment in her eyes as she talked with me about her family. I was inspired in my role as a mom. After lunch, P,B&J which by the way was the very best I've ever had. I was sent to a site with a team to begin constructing a house. I know others have spoke about JoAnn in their postings. Anyway, while we were putting up the walls talking about looking forward to dinner and looking forward to a shower, etc. I came to understand that all the things I look forward to, this moment is what JoAnn has been looking forward to. God truely spoke to me in that moment. You all know how much I love little kids and their were plenty surrounding us and helping in their own way. I too was showered with a styrofoam snow, which if you're wondering, the house walls are about 4" thick styrofoam with a fencing type mesh wire covering both sides then covered in concrete, anyway, one of my teammates showed the children what happens when you rub 2 scrap pieces of foam together. So, they snowed on me, Saying " Here you Merry Christmas". That was the best snow I've ever seen. Well, today I was assigned the same job site. But today, they knew us by name when we arrived, the joy and excitment in their eyes, knowing that we bring good to them. We are here to help, to love on them, to share Christ. Today, I had the opportunity to chat with 3 ladies about Christ. One lady commented, "I try to be good" which sparred the conversation about forgiveness and about how Christ has already paid the price. Again God was in abundance on this land and in these words today. Now, don't think for a second, that God hasn't stretched me though. Physically, I've held up walls, anchored walls, learned to use tools that I don't even know names for and today I even tried my best to spread on concrete. I'm pretty sure I sucked really bad at this job. I've hauled bucket after bucket of marl and mixed concrete. For all you doubters, I've got camera evidence to prove it. Not just my camera either. There is a little boy on our job site about Carter's age and I'm so reminded of Carter because this precious little boy wants to sit on my lap and be loved on. Mike, you would be so proud of me, I'm putting all the experience you've given me working along side you to use. And God has asked me to be a follower and just do what job I'm given without asking why or 2nd guessing. I'm thinking he's got other areas of my life in mind when teaching me this lesson. As everyone has probably noticed, I haven't and won't be posting anything on my blogspot. Amy is choosing a few people each day to write on our team site. So please feel to comment on this or any post, we are printing them out and sharing them here with who they are intended for. Nick you were on my mind last night, we had a music night in the courtyard and many of the songs they played are on your ipod, thanks for keeping me current on the music scene, I was able to dance with Jamaican's and not look like a complete fool. I love you guys sooo much and can't wait to get home to share more with everyone, but I'm savoring every minute I have here. Big hugs and kisses to Nick and Carter and especially to you Mike. Thanks for your prayers and support.

Love you all;
Mary Jo

6 comments:

Colleen said...

To All,
I have been following and reading the blog daily, just to have a picture of what my child is doing.
I have truly enjoyed all the stories, I have laugh, cried ,
and seen the gods blessings in many ways. I am so excited for and proud of Ashlee I think my heart will burst. I can not wait until she comes homes and tells us all about her experiences,
Also Ashlee we have a blessing for you, In September you we be a Aunt.
Please pass this note along to Ashlee B.

Love, Mom, Dad, Artie, Amber and jose

Harry and Pam said...

Blessings to all of you. Janna, we have been praying for you, that you would see God's hand at work in all you are doing, and for your family who, I'm sure misses you. We are proud of you and love you. Dad and Pam

mike goetling said...

Hey Mary Jo
Have been looking at the site sevral times a day. hoping to see a new picture of you and woundering what you are doing. Nice picture of you with the shovel in your hand. How come your side of the pile is nice and smooth and his side looks dug in. HA HA any mis you and lokking forward to seeing you back. Calling for real snow this weekend and hope it does not delay your flight. Sounds like God is showing you alot and I hope you are seeing all of the blessings God has given us. we are turly blessded. anyway just so you know we are surving up here even at the fact that i won't make chocolate milk for nick. Also I have goten up the last two morings at 6am and fixed pancakes for the boys. Did you know I could do that? we are doing well. I kinda hurt my thumb on the sewing machine not bad but I avoided saying a few choice words. should of seen nick and I trying to make a bandage out of the larges ones we had. he wanted to use duck tape. went to the store and bought some. did you know that duck tape makes bandages?? sory i am drifting. got to take nick to school now .

miss you love you mike nick and carter.

Carolyn said...

Dear Team,
I have read so many of your posts and it so reminds me of my trip to Zambia a few years ago!! I am so excited for each of you...
Listen for God's voice in the silence...
Prayers to all...
Mucho love to Amy and Jen!!!

Julie said...

Amy- I have been praying without ceasing for your prayer requests. I am so excited to see what God does from following and living in His will this week. I know the team will be succesful because God is on your sides. Thank you for always following Christ and being used by HIM. Tell Jenn I said hey and love you both my sweet friends. Tru just came out of surgery- did very well- breathin on his own with no support- pls pray he will not have to go on any oxygen support thru out this new journey and he will POOP in 4 days!
Forever loving Jesus!!
Julie

mike goetling said...

To All

Make sure you raze Mary Jo.
Sunday is here birthday and she will be 40 HA HA just kiding but on my 39th birthday she told everyone I was 40 so I need to get even. any way just want to say to Mary Jo I am very Proud of how she got to Jamaca. When she said see thought God was telling here to go I was the bad person and said it could not come out of are budget(I blame the Stiles for that one) She did it without a penny(God showed here how.)There were times she did it willingly and times she did it kicking and arguing But never the less she was truly obedient to God and he provided. For that I can see how God is truly working in here life and our marriage. Got to go the timer on stove just went off. Mary Jo I love you even more now and miss you.

Love mike